Thursday, June 28, 2007
forensic science + God + daytime TV
Last night I was watching this documentary on Arts Central about the use of forensic science to solve crimes, which is precisely what they do on Bones. I think it's so amazing that a forensic anthropologist could tell you what killed the victim by examining their bones, even if those bones have been damaged by scavengers or other types of post-death (post-mortem?) trauma. Bones calls this "dead people telling their stories".

By examining the soil, plants/plant parts and living creatures found on, under or in the vicinity of the body, an expert could also tell you what time the person died, and whether they were killed where the body was found. The documentary referred to this as "plant and animal witnesses". But what struck me, while watching that, was - He sees everything. Those who die in silence, buried for years with no one looking for them. Those whom have been given up on, those whom no one cares for. And He sees the crimes, the killers who get away with them. He sees it all. He records these deaths, etching it into the physical. Yes, it's us humans who interpret these records, but if you believe that He made human beings too, then it stands that He was the One who gave us the intellect to do it right? And even this is limited.

He is not uncaring, or unseeing. Even if some of these criminals are never caught, He made sure that justice was served in the body of Jesus. Strange isn't it, that He died for not just me and my pastor but the serial mass murderer as well. Maybe some people think this is not fair. Criminals deserved to be punished. Good people don't. How could He say that we have all sinned in His eyes? Yet the truth is that we have all fallen short, that's how high His standards are. Unreasonably high to some perhaps?

But then He sent His own Son to pay for it all. It still is very profound to me now. Some days I find it hard to believe as well - I judge myself and I really am the worst critic of myself. But that makes me presumptous because I now have no right to judge myself, when He has already judged me whole and healed in His eyes. Nor should I ever let anyone judge me, and yet I let that happen at times too. The battle has been won, and I am standing on victory ground. The only fight for me is to believe, to rest. And that sometimes can be harder than anything else.

Thank God, though, that He is patient with me. :)

I wonder what the Catholic Agent Booth would make of this? Haha. Speaking of which, the actor (David Boreanaz) who plays Booth appeared on the Martha Stewart show just now. Lol yes, I watch Martha Stewart everyday now as I pound the treadmill. So far, I have learnt how to organise my pantry, make a personalised bouquet, and some weird three-garlic pasta which was kinda gross for me because she put so much parsley into it. Ew. She made baked sardines (yes sardines!) with Boreanaz today, and it was really funny because he hated fish and the smell of it. He also had this habit of muttering to himself while she was talking. Martha has a bad habit of talking over her guests at times. It happened a lot today, I think because they both really wanted to say whatever they wanted to say. At least twice, the both of them were talking at the same volume at the same time, and it was kind of annoying because I wanted to hear what he was saying! I mean, who cares about homely old Martha, when here you have a tall, dark and handsome man? Who's also funny, a dog lover, an avid cook and a family man?

If I wake up even earlier, then I get to watch the Martha version of Apprentice, which is pretty interesting as well. After this is another cooking show where this guy goes into the kitchens of grandmothers and helps them cook. Which is quite interesting as well, actually. I like to see the way he interacts with the grannies (or charms his way into their hearts) - and the grannies themselves are cute and feisty for their age. Today's granny, a Jewish lady, reminded me of my mom. The food she made was kind of Chinese-ish. She made chicken soup with carrots and leek, which is what my mom has done before too. She also made dumpling-like things (I can't remember what they called it), which my mom doesn't do, but I love dumplings! She was also very particular about eating healthy and cleaning the food properly, which is so like my mom. :)

Having dinner at Din Tai Fung later...yay! I miss the xiao long bao, and the dumplings, and the beef soup......
posted by esther @ 1:16 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 11:12 PM, Blogger -shujuan- said…

    u're so hooked onto bones haha.. and how can u not miss the xiaocai!! :)

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger esther said…

    oh yeah!! we did have the xiao cai haha...yeah i like bones a lot! last time i read books by kathy reichs and i didn't know they made it into a tv series! i think i actually like the tv series more than the books now though. haha...

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Blogger esther said…

    i like bones even better than csi now because of the characters. i didn't really follow csi from the start so i don't know the characters as well. haha...

     
  • At 12:17 AM, Blogger -shujuan- said…

    haha ya i like bones better too cos the characters have a story line.. can't wait for september!! :)

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger esther said…

    yeah...actually csi has a storyline too lah, just not as much as bones. yeah i can't wait for the next season too haha!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

light a candle; help our children

STAND UP: america's education crisis

campaign for real beauty

free hugs campaign

About Me
Previous Post
Archives
Search
Friends
Other Cool Blogs
Psych Related Stuff
Links
Credits
Affiliates

15n41n1