| Saturday, January 06, 2007 |
| my first ever ktv session! |
Yep, you must be surprised...before today, I'd never even so much as stepped into a KTV place. We went to KBox at Marina Square. Lisye was there, as was Hannah and her New Zealand friend (here for exchange program). Liz's friend Sarah joined us late too. Afterward, we all went for Bible Study and it was then that we realised that there was a KBox in Suntec too!
Anyway, it was very fun and funny. Funny because we sang a lot of weird songs like Auld Lang Syne and Phantom of the Opera. And that Calcutta Taxi Taxi song, and Barbie Girl! Oh man. Songs from my teenage years (not the first two of course). Then there was 2 Become 1 by the Spice Girls, and various songs by A1. Most of these were chosen by Hannah cos' she wasn't familiar with most of the Chinese ones. The selection was quite limited also. We were laughing also cos' Liz kept choosing sad Chinese breakup songs and we were teasing if she'd secretly had a boyfriend and broken up without telling us.
Also, some of the videos they show are like totally random lor. Especially the English ones, when they don't have the original videos. They'd show some random footage of a guy and a girl (like someone's honeymoon footage minus the XXX bits) or just a video of a pretty girl skipping around in a short skirt or something. Almost zaokeng some more. Sometimes, the footage doesn't even make sense! Like for one song, there were horses in the video...or it would be just random people walking around. One of the videos look like someone's holiday video from Batam! Haha...they even showed us this uncle making a flute or some traditional musical instrument! We were laughing so much at some of the vids we couldn't sing! Sometimes when we stopped, we'd hear the man next door singing and he sounded quite funny also.
We actually sang for 4.5 hours! Towards the end we were just 'sampling' the songs because we were running out of time. Heh. I'm definitely going again...funny how I've never gone to one before, even though I used to sing in church - and I sometimes had to sing solo too.
Oh, and I actually went into the male toilet! Thank God nobody was inside or went in all the time I was there...if not it would be really embarrassing! I only realised when I went out of my little cubicle and saw the long row of white, sparkling urinals facing me. I think one of the male staff saw me walking into the wrong toilet though, cos' he was the one who showed me the way. And then I got lost trying to get back to our room cos' the whole place was like a maze, and went back to ask him the direction!
Ok backtracking...yesterday, I went shopping all day with Liz. The day before, me, Hann, Liz and Sheena met up at Billy Bombers for dinner. I hadn't eaten all day and I was so hungry I devoured everything! Speaking of being hungry, I'm hungry now cos' I didn't eat any proper food other than snacks the whole day!
I spent my New Year's Eve countdown at Sheena's house. Then we went to my house to sleep cos' my parents were out of town and I had to 'look after the maid'. Haha! We were all flushed that night, even before we left Sheena's cos' she'd bought this fizzy strawberry flavoured wine thingy and it was really nice! It's under the brand Arbor Mists I think. There's still another bottle at her house. Yum yum! Anyway, we lay in bed and talked about stuff until the sun rose. :)
The next day Shujuan came over and we had a Prison Break marathon! We stopped at Ep 14...she gave me the rest but when I popped in the second disc, it was blank! I was like "O-O Bleah~" I think it's already up to 17 on Channel 5 but I still want to continue from 15. Speaking of PB, though, someone chose a Mariah Carey song today (We Belong Together) and guess who was in the video! Wentworth Miller!! Haha...actually I knew he appeared in two of her videos (pre-PB, and I can't remember the name of the other one) but I'd totally forgotten all about it. As usual he was brooding all over the place looking hot. :D
I've been re-reading this book, All Things Wise and Wonderful, by James Herriot. It's part of a series actually. If you've been to children's church, you'll probably be familiar with this song (not sure about the title...All Things Great and Small?). He has a series of books using lyrics from this song.
I discovered James in a little corner of my secondary school library, and like Roald Dahl, he's one of those writers whose every book is absolutely wunnerful! In his books he recounts his life and adventures as a country vet, and he's really good at it. His stories are funny, touching, and thoughtful at various turns. I really want to have the whole collection! <-- hint hint The book I have is the same as on the Amazon webpage, even though I really want the earlier editions with the cute cartoon illustrations that I found in my secondary school library. I suppose they're all out of print now. I don't like the boring ones on the new ones leh.
I have read his books over and over and I don't think I'll ever tire of them. I first read them when I was about 14 and reading them now at 21 (has it been 7 years already?!), they still touch me the same way. Like meeting an old friend after many years and discovering what you loved about them in the first place. If you like animals, or if you like simple, funny stories, you'll love his books. There are books that will stand the test of time and be enjoyed by just about every generation, and his is one of those, I think.
Last thing before I go off to bed... Pastor talked about how this was a year of new beginnings. Well, I met a new person today, did something new today, and got a new contact number today from a friend I'd known for almost 10 (? I can't remember when we first got to know each other) years. So yep, I'm looking forward to more new and good things to come! Maybe at last I will get a ___________. Hehe, don't bother trying to guess the word, the length of the line doesn't correspond to the number of letters in the word.
We sang this song in church today, What the Lord has Done in Me by Hillsong United. I really like it, simple as it is:
Let the weak say I am strong Let the poor say I am rich Let the blind say I can see It's what the Lord has done in me
Hosanna, hosanna To the Lamb that was slain Hosanna, hosanna Jesus died and rose again
To the river I will wade There my sins are washed away From the heavens' mercy streams Of the Savior's love for me
I will rise from waters deep Into the saving arms of God I will sing salvation songs Jesus Christ has set me free
I'm not sure if the lyrics are "Let the weak say I am strong" or "Let the weak say, 'I am strong'". But either way it speaks to me. If I am strong, rich, or have the gift of sight, it can only be from the Lord. May the weak, poor, and blind see what the Lord has done in me; may they ask and He will do the same for them. May those who are already strong, rich, and have the gift of sight see me having all this not by my own effort, but by His exceeding grace. And if people say that I am strong, rich, or have the gift of sight, I say, "This is what the Lord has done in me."
For I am the one He loves, the one He is in love with, the one close to His heart all the time. :) |
posted by esther @ 2:40 AM  |
|
|
|