| Saturday, September 16, 2006 |
| Re: Light a candle |
Actually, I do not believe that the petition can really "eradicate the commercial viability of online child abuse" as they say. But I do believe that every bit of effort counts, as does public awareness; awareness of not just those in power, but parents, schools, churches and the children themselves.
They've got something right, though; it is commercially viable. There's a demand. But I think it's also important that people understand why there is a demand: there are people who are psychologically sick. Check out the Wikipedia entry for paedophilia. It's vile, isn't it. But as a psychology student, I feel that the abusers need understanding (and treatment) too; I think there are some who genuinely do not wish to be sexually attracted to children. And I do know that most victims of child abuse were abused themselves. It's like this curse passed on from the ages when the first child was abused. Why that happened - well, we do live in a fallen world after all, don't we.
It's never that easy to eradicate something so rooted in history. Even if in the future one could not find any hint of child abuse online, who knows what happens in private in every home? In private studios? Who would hear the cries of the children then? There's a lot of obstacles to be crossed (politics, bureaucatic red tape, funding problems) before real action can be taken. People in power can change things, but often they don't, or can't, or won't. Ah, it's such a complicated topic!
Still, like I said earlier, I still believe every bit counts, and that's why I posted the link up here. There's hope because there are people who know and care - people within the government, law enforcement agencies, social workers, and so on. |
posted by esther @ 5:15 PM  |
|
|
|