| Friday, September 22, 2006 |
| Chocololate dipspick potatoo pineapple pip!! |
Plus The Wake, and the Cute BND, and my Love-Hate Relationshop with Comm Studies
I was doing some 'research' on Clive Barker yesterday, after having read about him in my COM2409 Media Text Reader. Someone in class said his books were really, really, scary, and that piqued my interest. So my little self-research led me to the website for his Tortured Souls toy line (yeah he designs 'toys' too) - why they even call them 'toys' is beyond me. And I'm not going to link it here because they're gawdawful. Gruesome, sick, disturbing beyond words. I was morbidly fascinated, though, and even went through every single picture in the Tortured Souls 2 line which is even more bloody and unreal than the first. The 'tamest' character is a woman with grafted on wings made of human skin, and she has some sort of disc stuck in her head. There's this other 'spider woman' with mechanical limbs implanted in her body and she has tubes of blood coming out from her...nipples. The majority are male characters of course but I shan't go into the details here. =S
Anyway, after that I mostly forgot about it until I was ensconced within my covers in the dark. And bam! Those damned tortured souls came back to haunt me. It was not so much fear as horror that things like that could spring from the imagination of a man? Anyhow, I couldn't get those images out of my head and 50 minutes passed before I knew it. It was 5:50am (yeah I went to bed reeeallly late) and I thought, oh heck, I'm just going to get up and do something until it's light and then I know I'll be able to sleep. Haha don't even ask me about the logic of that!
In the end I slept at 7plus in the morning. I'd planned to go to the library today to do research for my COM2409 essay. I reached the White Sands one at around 415pm, and guess what, it was closed! For some 'annual staff meeting', how annoying. So I went on my merry way to the LCK library, which I was already planning to go.
Guess what.
Yeah, it was closed too. I actually hadn't seen that the sign had said, "ALL Regional libraries are closed..." There was this whole bunch of aunties and uncles there too and they were saying, "Lie-bree guan liao!" and I was like, "%&^^$*#$@!!" Heh, that's the title of this post actually. Of course I was nowhere as imaginative at that moment - I was more like, "Shit! Can you spell irritated." (I hear Sheena going, "In the toilet bowl" - hahaha!)
Anyway was pretty annoyed by that, but I was going to meet Sheena to dinner at Crystal Jade anyway. So I walked around on my own and bought...
1) Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season One DVD Eh, actually I bought it for my essay for which I need to analyse one episode. The guy who was supposed to burn DVDs for us has apparently disappeared and I don't mind buying Buffy since I used to love the show so much...it cost a bomb though. 96 bucks. :S
2) Introducing Media Studies by Ziauddin Sardar and Borin Van Loon Haha yes yes...it's really quite interesting cos', you see, it's an illustrated book! Like a comic book. I'm definitely not going to be citing it for any essay but I think it'll help me understand some basic stuff - which amazingly (or not so amazingly) I was never taught by my tutors in my Comms Level One units -__-"
3) In Cold Blood by Truman Capote I've wanted to read it for some time, but didn't see the movie. Anyway if you know me you'll know I've always had a thing for memoirs and such. Glimpses into another person's mind.
Oh. I've forgotten totally about the wake...there's a wake going on downstairs, and only this morning did I realise that it was the relative of my neighbour who'd died. It's quite a big thing apparently, they've even put up tables and chairs on the grass patch beside the void deck area. And I saw a chartered bus today! Wow. Anyway, I think perhaps I should drop by tomorrow...I bumped into my neighbour in the corridor today and realised with a shock that it was her relative who had died, and she's one of those who're kind enough to smile at me even though we've never really talked. The irony of living so close together huh.
And the cute BND (Boy-Next-Door)! Haha...he lives on the same floor as me too and it's funny how I've never seen him before after staying here for 11 years...only realised when he got into the lift just now. Hmmm.
Anyhow, I'm just getting irritated by the essay. I realised today that I have a love-hate relationship with Comm Studies. Sometimes I think it's just a load of...carrots. Haha. It's just that some concepts are difficult to understand because different people define it differently and there's no common definition. Sometimes they even use different names to refer to the same concept, which may or may not have different nuances or meanings in different contexts.
Then again, once I start to understand, I realise that it's all really exciting and even fun. I always go through this process of getting frustrated at the topic before writing my essay anyway. =P It's only really when I start to put it into my own words that it starts to make sense for me. And even then it's sometimes still fuzzy.
Certain articles also make me wonder whether the author understood what he/she was writing about because frankly I don't! Like when I was reading something by Roland Barthes recently, and he was waxing all lyrical about the difference between a Work and a Text. I did understand the article in the end, but there were this part that sounded like he was writing a song or a poem, he was being so sentimental! And there I was eyeing his passion indifferently, thinking, geez, what the..?
Maybe I just need to read that article again. Actually, to be fair, it's quite cool lah. The way he wrote it I mean. It befuddled me on the first read though. Like I said, love-hate relationship. Haha. Comm Studies is interesting and exciting but I hate it when I don't understand! |
posted by esther @ 9:51 PM  |
|
| 1 Comments: |
-
oops. that was really long xP
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
oops. that was really long xP