Tuesday, October 11, 2005
THANK GOD!!!!
I am in quite high spirits now. Just completed my RDA (Research Design & Analysis) online test (they also call it an assignment or a quiz, but a test is a test is a test to me! xP) and I got 26/30. A lot of RDA consists of STATISTICS - aka the bane of many a university student's academic existence, be they studying Psych (probably especially for Psych students), Life Science, even Business. You just can't run away from Stats. Actually I used to like Stats in JC because it was relatively straightforward. Now, it's different, and there're a lot of new formulas to memorize, but I do appreciate the role of Stats in Psych.

Anyhow, I'm very happy with my mark because my teacher was asking this girl in class whether she's done the test (they let you do it over a couple of weeks, but you only have one attempt once you log in and there is a time limit). She said she got 25/30, and at that time I thought it was really impressive. Later I heard her saying that she only studied from the lecture notes because she understood. And I had been slogging away with lecture notes + Unit Book + prescribed text for the past week! When I started the test, I was kind of tired and worried and blur. There was this timer counting down the hour which was quite distracting too.

Granted, the test was extremely easy, and someone on the forums got 28! But then again there are probably people who got full marks and stuff like that. There're also people who got only 19. It doesn't matter. I'm happy because I had a bit of a faith breakthrough. Before the results were loaded, I thought to myself IT WILL BE GOOD! and it was. And I did, after all, do the teeniest bit better than that girl even though she seemed so confident (the way she said it was even kind of cocky! =P) about her understanding. Haha.

I also finally enrolled for summer semester today, after procrastinating for the longest time. I thought I might not be able to enroll, because if you remember I'm supposed to get 60% or above on average to continue my course, which would resume in summer. What I enrolled for today was actually the full course, starting from summer. All I have to do now is wait for the offer letter! They didn't say anything about the 60% thingy either, though I repeated told them that I was told I had to get at least 60%, and my overall results weren't out yet. Perhaps they checked my assignment marks or something, but it's still kind of weird because all they did was nod when I told them that. They didn't even ask how I've been doing so far. And enrollment for summer ends this Friday!

Anyhow, this is a quiz I was supposed to do long ago:

1) (state who tagged you)
2) (list five weird habits you have)
3) (tag five other friends)
4) (they should not have done this meme before)
5) (remind them to do the meme)

1) Kah Ming, aka Jiamin =D
2) I still skip sometimes, usually while at home and/or when I'm happy. I don't mean skip as in skipping rope, it's the skipping that children do. xP
I use way too much toilet paper.
I have the obessive-compulsive habit of checking locks repeatedly, as well as checking whether appliances are switched off before I leave the house. A streak probably both inherited and learnt
from my mom.
I am morbidly curious about true crime cases, even if I often get all creeped and freaked out by the gruesome details.
I also use way too much soap/body wash.
3) Whoever wants to do this lah. But I'd like Jessie, Liz and Tommy to do it! Haha. If they ever read this that is.

I think 4 and 5 are redundant, so I shan't respond to them.

We did Abnormal Psych for class today. I love Abnormal Psych because it's so interesting! In fact, it was firstly Abnormal Psych that drew me to Psychology. Now I also like Social Psych (investigating human behavior in relation to society). My teacher said that for the catatonic type of schizophrenia, affected persons can stay in one position (often contorted and uncomfortable) for hours on end, and even if you tried to re-position them, they would just change back to the contorted one, as if their limbs had a life of their own. During this time they are totally unresponsive. Now that's freaky isn't it?

She also said that in the past mentally ill people were thought to be possessed, so they drilled holes in their skulls to drive out the demons. This was of course usually fatal. Actually, I do believe that some cases of mental illness are really demonic possession. Once I saw part of this documentary about MPD (Multiple Personality Disorder, now known as Dissociative Identity Disorder) and how some people felt it was really demonic possession. And how sometimes a person may not have MPD but are incorrectly dignosed and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy instead. And then the psychologist may (intentionally or not) ask the patient questions that cause her to form 'alters' that weren't there at first.

I'd love to talk about MPD and schizophrenia and all that, but there's no space here! Personally, I find MPD fascinating yet freaky. I've seen the artwork of some MPD patients, from books and the net, and they're eerie! It was this book about a girl with MPD (All Around the Town by Mary Higgins Clark) that got me hooked to Psych. This is a website I chanced upon years ago (while doing what I call 'interest research') after reading that book: http://www.multiple-personality.com/ I remember that I even sent the owner of a site an encouraging email because I was very touched by her courage, and she very nicely responded. I still keep that email as a matter of fact.

And I would still go on and on but my eyes are closing. More studying to be done tomorrow, gotta catch up on my Comm. chapters.

I really really really really love doing Psychology.
posted by esther @ 11:38 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    congratulations!!

    kah ming

     
  • At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice site!
    [url=http://kjfiziup.com/gpix/ucak.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://iontpelr.com/zpkq/devp.html]Cool site[/url]

     
  • At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good design!
    http://kjfiziup.com/gpix/ucak.html | http://qwvzneqm.com/yicr/oryc.html

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

light a candle; help our children

STAND UP: america's education crisis

campaign for real beauty

free hugs campaign

About Me
Previous Post
Archives
Search
Friends
Other Cool Blogs
Psych Related Stuff
Links
Credits
Affiliates

15n41n1