Tuesday, August 05, 2008
fangirling time~
Yes, Esther/Qing Ying/Sheepie is a closet fangirl.

Where do I start on this one? I have been a longtime fan of these guys - I think two years is a long time for me to remain fascinated, intrigued and appreciative of something. A lot has happened to me in these two years. A lot, too has happened to them in these two years. And I'm looking forward to the things they will come up with in the years to come - that is, if they keep on doing and improving on what they have been doing so far.

I am a closet fangirl of Wong Fu Productions.

Photobucket

At this point, you're probably thinking, "Errrr....wth? Aren't these just three ordinary guys messing around? And what's with the teddies!"

Well, yes and no.

Yes, because they started making videos in universities for fun. In their own words: Wong Fu Productions first began in 2003 on the campus of UC San Diego [Yup, they're American]. Over the years Wong Fu has evolved from a group of college dormmates and friends to a few boys driven to succeed: Philip Wang, Ted Fu, and Wesley Chan [left to right].

Again and again they find it incredibly amazing when hundreds of people turn up at their events, because they think they are really not that cool.

No, because to date they have had works shown at various film festivals, including Cannes (!!!). They also have a self-produced feature film under their belts and am working on another, this time in collaboration with people from the industry.

But the thing I love about Wong Fu and their works is their spirit.

Again, in their own words: Wong Fu was created on a saying that "If at the end of the day there's someone out there who has a better day because of us, then we've succeeded." To this day, that motto still stands. We believe we can have a positive influence in this industry, and on our audience...and if we can do this, then we know we're doing something right.

By this measure, then, they're extremely successful, because their videos make me smile and sometimes cry, and it always makes me feel better.

Yet again, in their own words:

Photobucket

This, too, I love about them.

It all seems very idealistic, no? I am an idealist, too, and this is why their ideas resonate so deeply within me. But as I grow up, I find my thinking becoming more and more realistic (or rather, fatalistic!) and it's a bit scary - I don't want to become like the average Singaporean aunty who has little to say except to complain about stuff and only values what she can see with her eyes.

I've had people tell me that I am naive, but I'll rather be naive than to be a skeptic. I want - need - to hold on to my ideals, my naivete, foolish as they may seem to others. I want to believe that there is still magic and innocence and miracles to be found in this world which I live in.

This is why I love Wong Fu, because in their works I see these things. You can say that they're only videos, that real life is different. But it is comforting that somewhere out there, someone shares my beliefs. What's more, they're having success with their vision. Isn't that saying something?

Sometimes I wonder what will become of Wong Fu in the years to come. Will they eventually call it quits? Will they 'sell out' and start putting sex and violence into their work? Will their worldview change as they grow older? Will they be coming soon to a cinema near me?

Whatever it is, I really hope the essence of their work never changes.

Now on to the boys themselves... aren't they cute? Lol.

Photobucket

Everyone has favourites (don't lie) and my favourite is... the one in the beige shirt. Phil. It's hard to find a pic of him in which his face is not contorted...

Photobucket

Why?

Because he looks like my JC Crush. They even have the same sort of hands (don't laugh). I had many many crushes in JC, but this was The Crush. The boy I went to school for - seriously! The boy with the sunshine smile and silly antics. Not gonna post a pic of him though. Although he did appear as one of Cleo's 50 bachelors last year... xP

Also because when I read his blog, I think, "Woah. This guy is saying things that I think!" Well, not everything, obviously. He has seriously random moments (like one post about his hatred of napkin holders). But enough of it, especially the stuff pertaining to relationships and life.

Some of my favourite posts:

On jobs well done

On chasing girls, young love, and being young

On relationships

On love songs these days

Plus, he's funny. And creative. And hardworking. Heck, all three of them are, and I have been tempted at times to 'jump ship', but Phil will always be my fave.

I really like the way he thinks. Damn, I wanna marry him! LOL. I'd really like my future partner to be someone whom I can talk about these things with, and relate to in the same way.

I'm gonna be late for Soci class (zzzzz, literally, for those who know the story) if I don't get away from this machine soon.

But, before I go, Wes has a blog too - http://www.xanga.com/hekkAtekkA and a Flickr account - http://www.flickr.com/photos/wesleychan/ and Ted has a Flickr account as well - http://www.flickr.com/photos/recompose

I use their pictures almost exclusively for my wallpaper xP

I'd blog my fave videos from them, but maybe next time! Have too many of them anyway. And if you're very observant, I've been posting vids made by them quite often lately.

Here's one anyway - an engagement vid they made for two of their friends. One lived in LA, the other in Taipei. They did the long distance thing for 5 years. Incredibly sweet video. Do not click if you're a cynic! (Hmm, actually, if you're one, you should watch this all the more?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtBk6Y5b-Nc
posted by esther @ 3:39 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 6:25 PM, Blogger miss X said…

    Lol... i'm sure Phil will be very happy if he reads this post

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger esther said…

    hahaha don't want la...so paiseh >_< anyway he already has lots of fans who say they wanna be his gf/marry him/jump his bones...lol

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

light a candle; help our children

STAND UP: america's education crisis

campaign for real beauty

free hugs campaign

About Me
Previous Post
Archives
Search
Friends
Other Cool Blogs
Psych Related Stuff
Links
Credits
Affiliates

15n41n1