Friday, May 09, 2008
bochupatitis
bo·chup·a·ti·tis [boh-chup-uh-tayh-tis]

n. non-physical condition, characterised by a lack of concern, motivation, and drive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seem to have been struck by a bout of bocupatitis this semester in regard to schoolwork. I used to want to get all Distinctions and High Distinctions but in the last year or so I have lowered my expectations, although I still want them of course! But I no longer do my work as carefully and proofread everything a few times xP

I think part of it is complacence - somehow I always manage to do quite well (with little exception) no matter how last minute and how slapdashedly I throw my work together. Still, sometimes I wonder if I have exercised my full potential. Sometimes I think, "Wah, anyhow do also can get good marks, what if I really do everything properly?"

I think a lot of it has to do with my reading and writing skills as well. I've been told that I read very fast. I have noticed it myself recently too - and what's interesting is that I am able to pick up an accurate meaning of the content despite the speed. It's like I am a piece of tissue and words are water - I just absorb and absorb naturally!

Inspite of this I still often feel stressed and worried that I will be unable to grasp concepts and present them in a coherent manner. Sometimes I even worry that I will fail! It's strange how I move from one end to the other. How odd.

The other day Huda said, "You're the only one who is able to do well when everyone else is failing," which I really wasn't so convinced of. "Wah, you have so much faith in me!" I said.

I feel especially shaky when it comes to Communications Studies, for which I have gotten every grade possible from Pass to High Distinction (except Fail lol - never!!!!!). The funny thing is I feel the same after each assignment - not entirely sure if I have fulfilled the requirements, and if I have understood the concepts and expressed them correctly.

I suppose I probably feel this way because I always do things at the last minute and have to slap everything together in a short period of time. And I am not a fast writer!

Was very pleasantly surprised when I got back my short essay for Sociology recently - I got 85%! Honestly I thought I might get 60+, maybe 70, since it was another slapdash affair and I didn't know what the heck I was writing (I often feel this way).

Granted, this is a level one subject and the concepts and readings are so super easy to understand compared to the stuff I usually have to plow and hack my way through...but still?

Was a bit amused by the marker's comments: This was a pleasure to read...(blah blah)...My only quibble is that you didn't (illegible word) C. Wright Mills, whose work you should get to know as I'm confident his ideas will appeal to you....(blah blah blah blah blah)....I was also very pleased to see that you knew how to use the semi-colon; this is rare among students. Well done - you have a promising future in this subject.

My immediate thoughts upon reading these comments:

- Wah, read my essay only can know what I like or don't like? You feel like you know me through my essay liao? Do I really sound so friendly?

(Actually I have been told that I have a very 'personal' and somewhat informal style of writing that makes my work pleasurable to read...whatever that means)

- Quibble. Hahaha... Who the heck still uses the word 'quibble' anymore? It's like 'nibble'...

- Huh? Students donno how to use the semi-colon? Errr....

- Lol, how come she must illustrate the use of the semi-colon after the word 'semi-colon' one.

(I made a totally unscientific assumption that the marker is female based on the tone of the comments and the neat, slanted, cursive handwriting)

- Promising future...please loh, I am only taking this because it's my elective and I have no choice! Not going to have a future in Soci!

- I hope the same marker marks my next assignment and gives me 85% again!

Muahaha~
posted by esther @ 3:09 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger Jacinthe86 said…

    Hahaha Esther, a lot of people do not know how to use semi-colon and then they abuse the poor comma. Not only students.
    Halima...

     
  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger esther said…

    hahaha i really did not know that! not like i use the semi-colon so much anyway, only as needed. anyway i looked through my essay, the only part where i used semi-colon was in referencing leh...(ABC 2000:123; XYZ 1998:456)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

light a candle; help our children

STAND UP: america's education crisis

campaign for real beauty

free hugs campaign

About Me
Previous Post
Archives
Search
Friends
Other Cool Blogs
Psych Related Stuff
Links
Credits
Affiliates

15n41n1