Friday, May 05, 2006
Politics???
I went to buy dinner at White Sands today, and on my way out was surprised to see the PAP members of the Pasir Ris-Ponggol GRC camping out on high stools outside Iora. Like some benign white-shirted mafia. Having an illegal gathering. Lol. Teo Chee Hean saw me (perhaps I looked surprised) and brought up one hand slowly in a wave. I smiled at him. I wonder if politicians ever stand in front of their mirrors and practice things like hand-waving?

Ok, I'm not going to get all political here because 1) I admit I don't know enough about the various parties and 2) I've got an essay to write! But, growing up with my parents, both of whom are self-employed (ie. bosses of their own company), and whom are solid PAP-haters, I can't help but be influenced. I've seen how hard they've had to work all these years (don't come and tell me it's easy being your own boss). And although I don't think it's good to be so subjective about things and although I can't substantiate their claims that all the PAP ever makes them do is Pay And Pay, I'm definitely skeptical about what they claim to offer.

But I've read Animal Farm (by George Orwell) before, in which the animals conquered the dominating, authoritarian humans and let their own (the pigs) rule, only to find themselves under the same slavery as before. So I am, at the present moment, skeptical too (if less so) about the Opposition. I haven't been chasing the news, but the other day I saw this clip where a certain PAP member (forgot his name liao) was talking about how all the Workers' Party ever did was criticise PAP, they are more like Wayang Party. I thought, Dude, I'm with you in this, but aren't you stooping to the same level as them by making fun of them like that?

And as for the Party Political Broadcasts....we need to work on having some facial expressions I guess (with the exception of the PAP guy, who looked like a benign white-shirted grandfather) . Haha. Ok maybe this is nitpicking, they've not had ample 'practice' yet. But why do all of them have glazed eyes and talk as if they're reading off a teleprompter?

Actually, I've always loathed politics. I don't believe there is such a thing as a perfect, 100% right way of government. Because people are only human, and where humans are things like pride and greed are present. Meritocracy? Democracy? Blah blah blah. In theory they work fine. Just not in practice.

We watched the movie Closer in Comms class today. I thought it tried just a tad too hard, but it makes you think. Witty, ironic and funny in some parts. The cinematography and narration was good. The casting of all four main characters are brilliant - for eg., Jude Law the real life unfaithful husband is Dan the unfaithful husband who seems only to love himself, and Natalie Portman, with her air of wearied innocence, is the naive stripper. The acting's good too.

Ok, I'm starting to sound all hoity-toity and know-it-all!!

When I really know nothing.
posted by esther @ 5:58 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

light a candle; help our children

STAND UP: america's education crisis

campaign for real beauty

free hugs campaign

About Me
Previous Post
Archives
Search
Friends
Other Cool Blogs
Psych Related Stuff
Links
Credits
Affiliates

15n41n1