Sunday, January 29, 2006
some pictures...


I did this with leftover chilli sauce after having a dinner of chicken chop. Nice, isn't it! Haha.




This is what the computer table looked like when I was in the progress of writing my essay. Those are all articles I found that were relevant to my topic. I needed tons of toilet paper too cos' my nose was leaking like a tap! I think I could use up a roll a day. No kidding. And beside the roll of toilet paper, my handwritten essay plan :)




My Gray textbook on the left, more references on top and on the left. My references were 3 pages long (abeit after double spacing)! See the giant stapler? I use it for stapling together all those long journal articles. But it's still not quite enough for me...cos' some of them are really long. Was quite overwhelmed initially with the amount of info I had uncovered. Felt that trying to summarise all that and to fit it into 2000 words was like trying to fit the world into a thimble. But eventually I got over that and finished my essay. :)




Aren't the decorations pretty? Took this pic last week after we'd gone to Tiong Bahru market for dinner after service. They'd decorated the trees really nicely. That white spot is just reflection off a nearby sign I believe.


Do you know that you can borrow twice the normal amount of books from the National Library? But only for a limited time! I forgot till when. Only found out when I went there last week, and borrowed 5 books:

- The Woman with a Worm in Her Head & Other True Stories of Infectious Disease by Pamela Nagami
- Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
- The Silent Woman: Sylvia Plath & Ted Hughes by Janet Malcolm
- To See You Again: The Betty Schimmel Story by Betty Schimmel with Joyce Gabriel
- The Nun's Tale: A Medieval Murder Mystery by Candace Rob

I've already finished the first two. The second I finished in one day - today. I didn't realise that the book by David Sedaris was an autobiography until I started reading it. It's sad and funny, a little off its rocker.

The first book I borrowed because I was curious about the fact that it was possible to get worms in one's head. Made my skin crawl at some parts. It's semi-autobiographical, as Nagami weaves together her patients' stories with accounts of her own life and emotions. Easy to understand because she describes the germs and diseases clearly, in layman's terms. She also lets you into the world of a doctor (not at all rosy). Plus, the woman can write!

The Silent Woman is a bit hard to follow because I've never read any of Plath's nor her husband Hughes' work (he was a poet too), nor any of the biographies written about her/him/them. But fascinating nonetheless - in a gruesome way. I'm curious about Plath because she committed suicide by sticking her head in an oven. There is no rest for the famous dead and those they leave behind.

To See You Again is yet another Holocaust survivor story, only this is a love story.

And The Nun's Tale happens to be the only piece of non-fiction I brought back with me that day! Haha. Looking at this selection, you may be tempted to say I have some kind of morbid interest in death and suffering. I've always been drawn to stories about WW2, and true crime stories, even though the scary ones really freak me out, that humans are capable of such horrors. So maybe I do - but don't we all?

I posted a new poem on Shtuff a few days ago. I really like it. Expression ic cathartic.

"... ...oh, to give myself crashing, fighting, to you." - Plath, in her journals
posted by esther @ 2:07 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Jacinthe86 said…

    hey saw ur post on the CNY thingy
    me fam oso kinda like urs
    hahaha
    mine during hari raya
    hahaha
    ;)
    halima

     
  • At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey girl thanks for sharing this yeah. it's always good to know that one is not alone! :D take care!

    esther/qy

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

light a candle; help our children

STAND UP: america's education crisis

campaign for real beauty

free hugs campaign

About Me
Previous Post
Archives
Search
Friends
Other Cool Blogs
Psych Related Stuff
Links
Credits
Affiliates

15n41n1