| Sunday, January 29, 2006 |
| CNY blues |
It's not been a great holiday at all. Not going to be visiting much, only my grandma on the fourth day. Why am I having CNY blues while everyone else is oh-so-happy for the break and for the angbaos?
Because, in all honesty, things in my parents' (and hence mine by default) families can only be described as 'dsyfunctional'. It's a freaking soap opera I tell you.
And that's why we are not going to visit anyone except my maternal grandmother, and nobody is coming to visit us.
In previous years my parents always fled tried to flee CNY by bringing me abroad. Well another reason is because it's really the only time of the year they feel like they can take a break.
I even morosely and foolishly thought to myself the other day: If I wasn't Chinese, I wouldn't have to endure this.
Then today I realised that every race has its own parallel of Chinese New Year, celebrating the closeness of family bonds, when the truth is often nothing like that. I know, I know, I'm sounding very pessimistic. I'm sure there are many genuinely happy, close-knit families out there. But as the saying goes, 家家有本难念的经 (jia jia you ben nan nian de jing). Even genuinely happy, close-knot families have their own storms to weather.
My parents have been surprisingly cheery all of yesterday and today, though. I'm really sorry that I haven't been able to bring myself to be pretend to be cheery, now that we have this much time as a family together, and they get to have this long break (four days at home).
I just want this to be over. |
posted by esther @ 12:41 AM  |
|
|
|