| Saturday, February 19, 2005 |
| smoke, confetti, dog poo |
They smoke like chimneys over in Italy! Again, no offense, but I can’t stand cigarette smoke. I think my lungs are a shade darker now. So walking the streets in Italy is like walking in some invisible smoky haze; the smell is almost everywhere, though you don’t actually see the smoke or people smoking. Actually it’s quite sweet and pleasant like that. Haha. Not that I haven’t had encounters where I’ve walked past people smoking and got choked by the smoke over there, and I’m definitely not ever going to pick up a cigarette.
I love the streets in Italy; so many things to look at. In Milan we had to look at the ground while walking in certain areas to avoid stepping on dog poo, or chocolate/gold as other members of our tour group jokingly called it. Haha. We’d be walking and someone in front would shout, “Careful! There’s chocolate/gold on the ground!”
I have to admit, though, I fantasized a bit about wandering those streets with my husband. (I am convinced now that I won’t be distracted by eye candy after this trip, since even though I saw a lot, like I said, I still think the one back home is tons better! xP) I don’t mean in Milan alone but Italy in general. The buildings are fascinating, blocks of history right there. All the graffiti too. Not a single skyscraper in sight. Oh, and the confetti. There is confetti everywhere on the ground, from Rome to Milan, even Venice (we went from Rome -> Florence -> Venice -> Milan -> Switzerland). At first I wondered why, until in Milan we saw this little boy throwing confetti from a plastic bag happily. (At which I thought, Children don’t need any reason to celebrate—just give them some confetti and they will.) So they sell these bags of confetti! It’s legal to throw little bits of coloured rubbish in Italy. The little boy in his exuberance accidentally threw a handful at my mom, who to my surprise only laughed and said to the boy’s parents that today was her lucky day. |
posted by esther @ 6:51 PM  |
|
|
|