Went with Liz, her net friend, who brought her friend, who brought her bro. Haven't gotten the pics from the rest yet, and I didn't take many with my camera phone, since it doesn't take night pictures very well. Am too cheap to buy a new digicam after my last one died :P
 Ok, you can't really tell by this pic, but the crowds were crazy...line and lines of people! They were queuing all the way into the souvenir shops. There were 50% discount coupons in the NDP goodie bags and each coupon allowed discounts for 5 people you see, so it was quite a good deal. We each paid $11 for a ticket.
Erm...just a light. I can't remember the last time I went to the Night Safari. More than 10 years ago I think, and I have no memory of it. The atmosphere there is really nice now though. The moment you get off the bus, you're greeted by all these Survivor-esque lighted torches (with real fire!)... and everything is dark and misty and mysterious inside. Donno why they have a plane on the ceiling, but it's pretty~
This is from a poster advertising the 3-in-1 bundle pack - Zoo + Night Safari + Bird Park. Obviously, this baby orangutan here is from the zoo...isn't he cute!
Wth??? Hotdog for $9.90???? Potato chips for $4??? Ice cream for $5???
More overpriced stuff. Moral of the story: Eat before going in, either at the fast food place just outside, or anywhere else for that matter. Or bring your own dinner, which I saw an Indian family doing... I was too cheap also to buy any of the food from this place...even though I was hungry and drooling at the sight and smell of the food. In the end it was okay. Afterall, I've gone for the 30-hour Starvation Camp before...I can take it! :P
In one part of the souvenir store. Oi Liz, why so serious?! Lol. I love how my shirt is glowing...and even my teeth! We were all taking pics like mad inside that shop. Erm, no pics of the animals except blurry ones, so I'm not going to post them. At the lion enclosure, there was this particular lion who started making moaning sounds at a passing tram. It sounded like some kind of strangulated roaring, as if it had something stuck in its throat...the sounds were drawn out at first, but became abrupt and short, like, "Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!" Really odd. It kept doing that at intervals after that. It was very loud too, we could hear it even though we'd gone a long way from it. Really weird lion. Lol. I also discovered a new species of animal that thoroughly fascinated me - the mousedeer. 
Obviously this pic wasn't taken by me! But look how cute it is! I feel like Alice in Wonderland when I look at this tiny creature with skinny legs. This one here is the Lesser Mousedeer. There is a Greater Mousedeer, which is bigger of course. The Lesser Mousedeer is the smallest known hooved animal. Can you imagine how tiny its hooves must be? Was filled with a sense of wonder when I saw one quite close as it was nibbling on some carrots. But like the animals of its name, it startles easily, and fled as soon as it heard other noises. Had a very close encounter with a leopard too, as I was squatting next to the glass and it walked right past me - not once, but twice. Wow. I was only separated from it by that not-so-thick-looking piece of glass! Then there were the free-flying fruit bats, which were cute too, but kind of creepy as well. They fly around randomly, and sometimes their flight path arced very near to us. It was thrilling for me. The hyenas were interesting too, although they did nothing but watch us keenly. I could see them responding to higher-pitched sounds. People say the hyena is ugly, but I think it has a rugged sort of beauty to it - in its long, thick neck and strong chest. The Indian wolves were interesting....because one lost its footing and almost fell off a pile of stones. Of course it bounded right back...but...so malu lor!! Hahaha. There is a fantastic view of the Seletar (Serangoon???) Reservoir from the Night Safari too. You could see the reflection of the hills on its surface, and the night sky faded from purple into black from the bottom up. Really peaceful and beautiful. I felt like I could have stood there all night looking at that view. (Yes...I'm posting this at 5 plus in the morning...can't sleep.) |
I wonder who actually buys the food there. Oh...feel like cuddling the mousedeer. :D