Tuesday, March 29, 2005
the screwtape letters
Been reading this book, by C.S. Lewis. I used to only have a vague idea of him as some guy who's written some children's stories. I must have gotten him confused with Lewis Carroll who wrote Alice in Wonderland.

The Screwtape Letters is really good. It's a series of one-sided correspondence (the other side being unpublished) from an elder demon (Scewtape) to his nephew (Wormwood), a novice in the business of harvesting souls for "Father Below". Very enjoyable a read I must say. The frustration of Screwtape as his nephew's screw-ups (pun not intended) at letting a soul slip through his fingers to "The Enemy" is funny, not to mention that I feel a sense of revenge while reading it, since I belong to the other side.

Reading it, I realise in a new manner how faith and obedience in difficult circumstances frustrate the enemy (the devil and his demons I mean!) and please God at the same time. When there is doubt and pain and yet the child of God obeys. That's when all hope is lost, says Screwtape. So I'm even more determined to be obedient and faithful now. Especially since I am, in a way, in one of those 'troughs' of life right now. God treasures the prayers offered up in the troughs. And as I read I glow with pride for having such a great and wonderful God, who loved us so much He made us with free will so that we could embrace Him freely or choose death out of our own will. Not like the enemy who has to resort to all sorts of underhanded ways because he offers only death and empty pleasure. The ironic thing is, even the enemy knows how great God's love is.

Anyway, I know I haven't blogged in ages. My readership is dropping! Haha. Not sure if I'm ready to write about what's happened in the time since I last blogged. Contemplated stopping, since 1) I no longer seem to be able to find the time to blog anymore, 2) There are many things I'd like to blog about but are too private, really.

So I guess I won't be blogging so much from now on. And that's all for today. =)
posted by esther @ 11:09 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

light a candle; help our children

STAND UP: america's education crisis

campaign for real beauty

free hugs campaign

About Me
Previous Post
Archives
Search
Friends
Other Cool Blogs
Psych Related Stuff
Links
Credits
Affiliates

15n41n1