Tuesday, October 12, 2004
Short-fused
I'm not grouchy now, but I've been rather short-fused of late. Frustration over not knowing how to operate my dad's new palmtop cum handphone, which he also doesn't know how to use. I told him he would not use the palmtop features but he was insistent. Sigh. Frustration over the new microwave not cooperating with me this morning.

Sometimes I wonder how my dad takes my stupid tantrums. AND my mom's! Wahahaha. xP Come to think of it, he rarely explodes, or even raises his voice. But maybe that's because he does what many men do - bottle it up. Which may not be a good thing. =|

Well, some poor Prudential guy got the red-hot and short end of my fuse this afternoon. But he was REALLY ANNOYING, and I don't usually flare up at people in public. That's how ANNOYING he was.

A recount.

I took the other way to the bus line so as to avoid the hordes of Prudential people, but alas - I was spotted. I roll my eyes, look at the sky. I am tired and hungry and my eyes are dry, and I forgot my eyedrops. I am not in mood to listen for the umpteenth time about whatever savings plan they have. Anyway, if I wanted to open an account, I'd go to James - this guy I actually met to talk about a plan and who said he was in the top 10% of the salespeople there, and whom I liked.

Prudential Guy (PG): [in Chinese] Why were you looking at the sky? *laughes lamely to himself*

First mistake. Stupid question. Not funny.

Me: .....?.....

PG: Are you a student, working, or a housewife?

Second mistake. Mister, do I look like a housewife to you? Can't you use your brains for a little while.

Me: I'm studying.

PG: What level?

Me: I'm a private candidate.

PG: Private candidat - what does that mean?

Third mistake. Oh my goodness how can you not know.

PG: It means you're in a private school is it?

I nodded even though it wasn't true. I am studying at home, but I couldn't be bothered to explain why and how.

PG then goes on about how they have a Student Plan and how the interest rate is 4.2% and that of the bank is only 0.something% and asked me to calculate how much the difference is, which pissed me off even more. What is this, a Math test?? I said I was too tired to think. And I wonder what lousy bank that has such a phenomenally low interest rate. I would have asked if I wasn't so irritated. PG keeps going on about some "40 dollars a month" and I'm not even sure is 40 dollars is how much I'm supposed to get a month or how much I'm supposed to put in a month, and as again I was so annoyed I just wanted to go home. PG keeps asking me to calculate how much I would get. At this point I already had my arms crossed. It was a subconscious action, and I only realised that I had my arms crossed after I had done it. Some elementary knowledge of body language (which isn't foolproof, though) should tell you that when a person crosses his/her arms it shows that he/she is unwilling to communicate and share.

PG either is happily ignorant or chooses not to notice. He keeps asking me how much I save a month, and I am thinking I really do not want to tell you and it is none of your business. I tell him as nicely as I can that I already met one of there people and am considering opening an account. That is as good as telling him I'd rather do business with his colleague rather than him, but he doesn't get it.

PG: Why don't you get a headstart now today?

I explain what I already told him and he repeats the same thing again. By now I am reaching the end of my fuse. I interrupt his babbling and say, "Can I go now?"

PG: Of course you can go down but why don't you get a headstart today?

I swear I have never encountered a salesperson as bad as this one.

Me: I am really not in the mood for this ok. And I really want to go home now.

PG: Okaay....

I say thanks as I walk past him. But it was dripping with sarcasm.

This is probably the first time I've been rude (but is this even rude?) to anybody in public. I could have said, "When I said I've already talked to one of your people and am considering, it means I would rather do business with that person than you. Don't you get it?" or "Do I look like a housewife to you?" or "Oh my goodness. You don't know what a private candidate is?" or "Can't you tell that my body language is saying that I am getting really pissed off at you?" or "Do you know you're a really lousy salesman? How on earth do you expect to do business with people if you piss them off and they don't find you likeable??"

Ok. So it wasn't very nice, I know. :\
posted by esther @ 10:07 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

light a candle; help our children

STAND UP: america's education crisis

campaign for real beauty

free hugs campaign

About Me
Previous Post
Archives
Search
Friends
Other Cool Blogs
Psych Related Stuff
Links
Credits
Affiliates

15n41n1