| Thursday, June 24, 2004 |
| Say What? |
Paul Bremer: "...we have an awful lot to be proud of...While 10,000 or so Iraqi civilians have been killed, pretty much everyone is not dead." [link]
Wow. Congrats. You managed to not wipe out an entire population. Tell that to the relatives of those who have died. What is there to be proud of in war?? There is nothing to be justified. How can you say you're proud of this? What is there to be proud of?? Thankful, perhaps. But "proud"??
proud
adj. proudĀ·er, proudĀ·est
1. Feeling pleasurable satisfaction over an act, possession, quality, or relationship by which one measures one's stature or self-worth: proud of one's child; proud to serve one's country.
2. Occasioning or being a reason for pride: "On January 1, 1900, Americans and Europeans greeted the twentieth century in the proud and certain belief that the next hundred years would make all things possible" (W. Bruce Lincoln).
3. Feeling or showing justifiable self-respect.
Filled with or showing excessive self-esteem.
4. Of great dignity; honored: a proud name.
5. Majestic; magnificent: proud alpine peaks.
I find it ironic that this ad appears on the same page:
And what about this.
Maybe I'm just nitpicking on Bremer's vocab.
On the subject of saying things. I was telling Adrielle just now about a friend who seems to have changed so much in the course of a year; become cold and hard and cynical, when that friend used to be so nice and warm and sweet. I was being irritated by said person's myopic opinions, and saddened too. I still love this friend a lot, though. Adrielle said maybe this person didn't mean what he/she said.
Maybe. Maybe that person just needs to vent, or maybe he/she is going through a rough time. Maybe I have higher expectations of those I care about. I'm the sort of person who usually doesn't say things if I don't mean it, especially things that are insulting, unless I'm really pissed off. It annoys me when people say things they don't mean, or say one thing and do another. Words are not just words.
On Tuesday I posted that I'd been careless with my words, and that those words were perhaps spurred on by jealousy. Well, I'm not jealous anymore:
1. I know it's not the right time.
2. I realised anew last night that Jesus is more than enough.
3. I don't want what those people have, based on what it's like now.
In a sense, these people have said one thing and done another...and it's a matter of concern (not just me and my stupid emotions), now that I know 2 other people think the same way too. Three's a crowd. Time to stop being silent.
I give a damn, because I care.
On a light note, here's some cute bentos. =) |
posted by esther @ 4:05 AM  |
|
|
|