| Thursday, April 29, 2004 |
|
Emotions
e·mo·tion [n.]
1. A mental state that arises spontaneously rather than through conscious effort and is often accompanied by physiological changes; a feeling: the emotions of joy, sorrow, reverence, hate, and love.
2. A state of mental agitation or disturbance: spoke unsteadily in a voice that betrayed his emotion. See Synonyms at feeling.
3. The part of the consciousness that involves feeling; sensibility: “The very essence of literature is the war between emotion and intellect” (Isaac Bashevis Singer).
"It's just emotions taken me over
Caught up in sorrow, lost in my soul"
This song plays in my head nowadays when I think about emotions, feelings. I think it's called Emotions by Destiny's Child. I hardly ever listen to secular music anymore; somehow the appeal is just lost. Somehow this remnant of my radio-listening days floated up into my consciousness recently. Of course I only think of emotions when I'm in one of my funky moods and tell myself, It's just emotions. They're not reliable! Only God is.
Emotions. Interesting stuff. One of the things that defines humanity. Of course there is also the ability to think and reason logically, but technology can do a lot of that now. Technology, however, cannot feel, and neither can animals (though some swear animals do feel; I have no idea myself). Even the state of feeling emotionless is an emotion in itself.
And yet, are not emotions, afterall, base and in a sense, primitive? We cannot choose what we feel, and even to feel; we can only feel. We are sometimes taken by emotions and act impulsively. Emotions are fickle. One minute we can be feeling on top of the world and the next like our world has shattered upon our heads. We can't control them. We can, however decide how to deal with them. Perhaps that's what really separates us from other...organisms. Hmmm. (Gee, this is like a GP essay! :P)
Ah well. Just thought about this when I was setting my new mood on imood.com. It seems that the majority of people (or imood users to be specific) are tired all the time. As in, the mood that most people feel each day is 'tired'. That's rather vague actually. You can be tired in a lot of ways: physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually.
Well...so much for that. Bedtime for me! =)
Speaking of emotions, if you need a lil' pick-me-up, go to emotioneric.com =)
|
posted by esther @ 2:01 AM  |
|
|
|