| Tuesday, April 04, 2006 |
| Pondering my assignment.... |
Been doing my Flexiweek assignment. Boy, for a 2.5% assignment I think they ask rather hard questions! Am quite confused by the last question: Comment briefly on how Greitmeyer's results suggest that women's long-term mate selection may be more complex than previous research suggests.
By the way, the article is called Receptivity to sexual offers as a function of sex, socioeconomic status, physical attractiveness, and intimacy of the offer.
That's because I couldn't find the differences after reading through the whole article, because what Greitmeyer found seemed to actually support previous research! Basically, that women value SES (socio-economic status) over attractiveness when choosing long-term mates, but value the latter over the former when it comes to short-term affairs. And men? Basically they have no standards. Hahaha, kidding lah. The results show that men are more willing to have casual sex relations with partners who are below their criteria for a single date (how sad xP). And that high SES is a factor that repels rather than attracts. Yada yada.
The confusing thing is the sentence on the last page that says: Given a long-term involvement (switching partners), they were equally willing to accept the offer of potential partners of high SES or high physical attractiveness.
Huh? I couldn't find this in the whole report at all! Maybe I just need to read it through again tomorrow or something.
I wonder, why, though did Greitmeyer not include researchers' attractiveness/appearance in the Limitations section...because what they did was to conduct surveys in public. For eg., if the researcher looked imposing or like a figure of authority, participants might tend to give 'safer' answers. What about the gender and physical attractiveness of the researcher? I mean, I'm sure not all researchers are dowdy looking right. Haha. Perhaps they did explore this area but found that it had no effects on the results, and thus was not a limitation at all!
Anyway, enough of my pondering...I'm tired. |
posted by esther @ 10:52 PM  |
|
| 1 Comments: |
-
your assignment sounds really interesting!!
- kah ming
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
your assignment sounds really interesting!!
- kah ming