Monday, July 05, 2004
On Tithing
Ok, for those of you who do not know, tithing means giving 10% of your income/allowance to your church for the extension of God's kingdom. It is meant to be used as funds for church-building purposes. Certainly and shamefully, in some cases the money is misappropriated.

Today I have a testimony to share on this though, and it's very exciting. Of course, there are many who think that tithing is crap and all. My parents, especially my mom, would lean on that side. I'm the only Christian in my family, and they see no point in doing it, and also because it's "their money". In the worldly sense, of course. I see their point. I don't blame them for this point of view. But if you know God, you'll also know that all we have belongs to God. My parents, who provide me with my allowance, are given to me by God. They are able to provide, because God has first provided them with a livelihood. So what's the difference now? It's all His.

Thing is, I don't tithe because I have to. I do because I want to. He's given me so much. What is this little bit I have to offer? Which came from Him in the first place anyway? I do because I believe that my family is represented by me in my church, and as I am faithful, so will they be blessed and protected. And I also do because He has promised blessings if I obey...and I have experienced first hand for myself those blessings.

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it."
- Malachi 3:10

I remember Brother Ken sharing before about how one day, he decided to tithe a little more than 10%. The next month, his salary was increased. This not only happened once, but twice. (And more??)

Guess what. It's happened to me too! My allowance has just been increased! It wasn't like I was even asking for it. This few weeks I have been giving offerings along with tithes, though, because I want more of Him in my life. I also expressly set aside money for tithes early in the week. And I've been recording my expenses meticulously, so that I'll know roughly how much I spend on things like food, transport, clothes, entertainment etc. There have been many times when I've looked in my wallet and been hesitant to give if I had less than $10 inside, so that was to solve that problem. Tithes are supposed to be our firstfruits, not our leftovers. =)

I was actually in quite a soggy mood (this word just comes to mind, don't know why) and Mom was poking around in my new wallet, which annoyed me. She wanted to take back the NETS card, and I was reluctant. I said that Dad hadn't given me my allowance for this week yet. So she called him out, and he gave me $10 more than usual. I started laughing to myself (not manically, of course) and Mom didn't get it. It's the second raise I've got this year...praise God! =DDDDD
posted by esther @ 4:43 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

light a candle; help our children

STAND UP: america's education crisis

campaign for real beauty

free hugs campaign

About Me
Previous Post
Archives
Search
Friends
Other Cool Blogs
Psych Related Stuff
Links
Credits
Affiliates

15n41n1