Monday, January 12, 2004
I Think I Can Be a Little Bit Morbid

I donno, I find this show on Central, The Anatomists, a tie-in with the Body Worlds exhibition really fascinating. About how the science of anatomy came about, its dark origins. Did you know that Leonardo da Vince admitted to cutting up at least 30 cadavers in his lifetime? I always thought that to be an anatomist you've gotta be a bit loose up there, I mean you're cutting up dead things everyday! And there must be somewhere inside them a cold, morbid sadistic streak...of course, it's all in the name of scientific advancement, which is well and good. But the lines are fine. Like there was this professor who bought dead bodies from these 2 guys who actually murdered those people. That's just sick. "For the first time Dr. Knox [the professor] personally inspected the body, and he remarked on the 'freshness' of the cadaver, but did not inquire further. He authorized a payment of £10." What a horrible man. He must have known there was something weird about it, but he didn't care. He just wanted bodies for his anatomy school. What a horrible man.


There was this other case (in modern times) where this hopsital stripped an infant of nearly all his internal organs, even after the parents asked to sign a written agreement with the hospital. I think those people in charge must have ceased to view the dead infant as a life that mattered and still matters to 2 people, and instead viewed it as a specimen. They wanted the infant's heart cos' he was born with a hole in his heart, most probably the interventricular septum (they didn't say it in the docu, but Bio. students should know...haha ok couldn't resist the chim word there). But then they went and emptied all his insides. Poor child!

I would donate my organs for people who need it for transplants. In the past I would not have said I'd donate them for scientific research too, but after the exhibition...do I really wanna end up like those specimens I saw...ew. There was a really morbid exhibit in a glass enclosure. This man stripped of everything except his blood vessels sitting at a table, looking down at something. On further inspection, I realise it's a head, also just a shell except the vessels (as in only the blood vessels and nothing else - I wonder how they did it man). It's called The Thinker. That was really quite disturbing lor...I don't wanna end up like that! But then again, as if I would know or care. I'd be in heaven with my Jesus by then...and if my contribution can help the world...why not right?

........Ok, I think I'm not as morbid as I thought. The more I read about those two...beasts! who murdered for money (and the promptly spent it all on alcohol) the more creeped out I get. How can you just coldly snuff the life out of a fellow human being? And so many of them! Maybe that's why they kept drinking. To numb their consciences. Pathetic. =[
posted by esther @ 1:08 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

light a candle; help our children

STAND UP: america's education crisis

campaign for real beauty

free hugs campaign

About Me
Previous Post
Archives
Search
Friends
Other Cool Blogs
Psych Related Stuff
Links
Credits
Affiliates

15n41n1