Monday, November 24, 2003
Are You There? Do You Know I Love You?

I am retyping this again cos' something happened just now and my post was lost. But I want to say it so I'm retyping again.

Anyway, today I read an article called Chelsey's Missing Smile from an old copy of Reader's Digest (April 1998). It's about a girl born with "a rare congenital disease called Moebius Syndrome". Chelsey has underdeveloped facial nerves, and because of this could not smile. Now she can, after undergoing reconstructive surgery by a Dr. Ronald M. Zuker; God bless this wonderful man, who has brought a whole new meaning to the phrase "bringing a smile to one's face".

There was one line in the story that touched something deep within. As Lori (Chelsey's mom) looked down at her daughter and stroked her cheeks, she wondered, Are you there? Do you know I love you?

Are you there, do you know I love you. As Lori placed her finger in the baby's tiny palm, "the webbed fingers (which were separated by surgery when Chelsey was older) curled weakly, then loosened after a second. But it was answer enough."

There have been times in the past when I have wondered the same thing. As I thought about it, it dawned upon me that God may have thought this countless times before too. And many times He did not get an answer. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that God experiences pain, except in His Son, Jesus, who was human yet was God. But, even though my human mind is too limited to even attempt to know and understand this aspect of God, it is not unreasonable for me to believe that God does experience some pain. If I were saddled with His burden and all the rejection He faces all the time, I would rather die. The emotional pain would be so much that physical pain may even be a welcome relief. I could never expect to know what Jesus went through on the cross. Condemned by those He came to save and whom He loves, left alone to die in the most painful and undignified manner, even though He was of royalty higher than any human monarchy on earth. To have had such cruelty inflicted on Him who did not deserve it. It makes me tear. I really wonder how people can have the heart to remain cold towards such love. But I was like that in the past too...

Read more about Chelsey and Lori here.

I thank God that I was born fully able to smile at those I love.
posted by esther @ 8:56 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

light a candle; help our children

STAND UP: america's education crisis

campaign for real beauty

free hugs campaign

About Me
Previous Post
Archives
Search
Friends
Other Cool Blogs
Psych Related Stuff
Links
Credits
Affiliates

15n41n1