| Wednesday, October 29, 2003 |
|
Watched True Files today. It was the story about the little girl whose mother let her boyfriend rape her almost everyday ("except on Sundays and public holidays") from the time she was 9 to when she was 13 (or was it 15). "By then she had reached puberty and [forgot his name] had to use a condom". :( So sad ok. I was so disgusted...if there anything that really disgusts me is when innocent children are abused and have their innocence taken away so brutally, leaving scars on their lives forever. The wound may heal but the scab will always be there. Apparently, the girl only told people about it when her mother was going to divorce her father and fighting for custody of all the children (there were 3 altogether) and she did not want to be with her mother. But she kept voicing her concern for her mother, saying she still loves her mother and does not blame her. What a very, very big heart this child has....she would have to be 17 or 18 now. I hope she's doing fine. God bless and protect this brave, courageous, forgiving, loving girl. If that ever happened to me, gosh. I can't even imagine it. It's certain a sobering story...hey, if you think people treat you unfairly and your life sucks, think of this girl and count your blessings. The most amazing thing is that despite all the shit her mother made her go through she didn't hate her mother. I keep using the word "mother" because I find it really hard to call such a woman a "mom/mum". When you say mom, it's like a term of endearment, affection. Sometimes when I'm really mad at my own I refer to her as my mother. Oh gosh, that is so childish. I love my mom.
On a lighter note, happened to catch this silly show called The Dating Show on Channel i this afternoon, I think about 2:30, when I was having lunch. Talk about speed dating. Only 15 minutes for each person to pick a date from out of 3. The first was a twenty something girl. The selection process is simple: she asks each 'contestant' a few questions. That's all. I ththink the show produced the questions for them. Chessy questions such as: I love animals so much, sometimes I even understand them. Tell me something romantic in monkey. And the poor guy has to humiliate himself to get a date. Geez. Another example: I am a goddess and I love to be worshipped. Worship me. And the poor guy has to humiliate himself to get a date.
Next was a middle-aged guy with a pot belly who was wearing a black pullover that didn't really make him look slimmer. (Oh how mean I am!) The contestants...let's just say that when I saw them I was horrified. There was this big lady with big hair and big assets (*ahem*) wearing a black and white dress (which is actually quite stylish), too much make-up, and pretending to be a 16 year old girl on a first date. The way she inclined her head towards her shoulder and smiled at the camera in this fake, cloyingly sweet manner. Oh gawd. Next to her was a plain jane secretary who gave the most boring answers of all, and last of all this dignified looking lady who was into photography (That made me like her immediately - ok, so I am biased; I think people who like photography are cool, which is a fact, ok? Don't argue with me.) and gave witty, clever, non-act-cute answers. Unlike Number One, who was eventually chosen! The fat guy in the black turtleneck went, "Oh my goodness! Look at her!" Yes, oh-my-goodness-too-much-make-up. Haha. He said Number Three was a lovely lady, and didn't say anything about Number Two (too plain, haha). Lol. Why am I so mean, making fun of people on this show that's probably not running anymore (judging from the clothes they were wearing).
And I'm using way too many brackets.
Btw, ROALD DAHL ROCKS!!!! Just finished re-reading a collection of 10 of his short stories, the educational version I used for Lit. back in Sec 2. Golly. He is just brilliant. I was so hooked and engaged, and the ending of the stories really surprises you - grabs you by neck from behind. Even though I'd read all the stories before, the ending still surprises. It's like a first reading, only better. In Sec 2, we only did 2 of the stories, and I don't think I was able to appreciate the stories so much then. Dahl just rocks. I've read about almost all his stuff, you name it - James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Magic Finger, Danny the Champion of the World, The Witches, The Twits, The BFG, Fantastic Mr Fox, Boy: Tales of Childhood, Going Solo, blah blah blah, most of the shorts, even this raunchy novel I was shocked to discover was written by him called My Uncle Oswald. It's about this guy called Oswald who's shagged just about at least one female from every nationality.
I think my favourites have to be his autobiographical accounts (Boy and Going Solo). It's just personal, and I think I prefer personal, warm, down-to-earth Dahl to shining brilliant Dahl, as in his dark short stories, some of which are actually quite disturbing and macabre. That Dahl seems somehow coldly detached from his work, even though each character is so rich and layered, even if he/she only has one line. It just goes to show how brilliant he is.
Lol. If this were a F.R.I.E.N.D.S ep, it'd be called "The One with the Dahl Tribute". Erm, don't ask me where that idea came from...I have really weird ideas sometimes.
I just love Dahl, but it's sad that he probably didn't die a very happy man. Still he had a really big heart, soul and mind. He cared for his wife after she had a huge stroke until she was well again, and it was quite a miracle that she even did. The thing was at that time he probably was already in love with another woman, but he still cared for his wife. Anyway, this is gonna sound so dumb but I had a crush on Roald Dahl when I was younger? After seeing this very nice pic of him when he was 17. Haha. He looked very handsome there. =P Plus, after reading Going Solo, about what he got up to in WW2, he became my hero. And he has this way of writing that really draws the reader in, as if he were sitting there telling you the story. I cheered him on silently when he was up in the air facing the enemy; felt his relief and was impressed with his big heart when he saw that the enemy had escaped in a parachute; felt his anguish when he ran into unreasonable headmasters and principals (who seemed to be really rampant in England then) in his school years.
Everyone should read Roald Dahl. He's just, like, so cool.
|
posted by esther @ 1:45 AM  |
|
|
|